Easy ways to support your immune system health with herbs
Here’s an easy, four-phase approach to follow that integrates traditional approaches to supporting immune system health from Chinese and Western herbal medicine.
1. Improve immune defences
Support your immune system with astragalus, one of the most important immune herbs in Chinese medicine, where it’s traditionally taken to enhance immune defences and help reduce the frequency of common colds.
Astragalus is also traditionally used in Western herbal medicine, where it’s taken to stimulate healthy immune system responses and support the immune system in fighting illness. This mighty immune herb is found alongside seven other Chinese herbs in Fusion Astra 8 tablets.
2. Relieve cold and flu symptoms
If a common cold or flu hits, consider andrographis to reduce symptoms including cough, runny nose, mild fever, sore throat, tiredness and disturbed sleep.
Meanwhile, in Western herbal medicine, echinacea is traditionally used to support the immune system when fighting illnesses like common colds, to relieve common cold symptoms, and decrease their duration.
3. Ease coughing and support healthy lung function
If your cold includes a cough, consider Fusion Cough Lung Tonic liquid, which contains Chinese licorice, traditionally used to relieve coughs associated with common colds and flu in Chinese medicine.
Fusion Cough Lung Tonic liquid also contains elecampane, which is traditionally taken to relieve mild bronchial coughs and support healthy lung function in Western herbal medicine. Chinese licorice is also traditionally used to relieve a sore throat, and to relieve coughs with excess phlegm in Chinese medicine.
4. Relieve tiredness
If you’re feeling tired following a bout of the common cold and flu, consider trying Fusion Astra 8 tablets again, which also contain reishi mushroom, traditionally taken to enhance immunity and relieve tiredness in Chinese medicine. Astragalus can also be helpful here as it increases vitality and also help the body cope with stress, according to traditional use in Chinese medicine.
If you prefer a liquid, Fusion Astra 8 liquid contains Siberian ginseng, which is traditionally used to relieve fatigue and aid recovery after illness in Western herbal medicine.
Other easy ways to boost your immune system naturally:
How do you take care of yourself during winter? Here are some other easy ways to support your immune system during winter and beyond:
- According to TCM, spicy, warming and pungent foods are helpful for supporting the immune system, so make liberal use of garlic, onions, radishes, pepper, ginger and chilli
- Eat a healthy and balanced diet including fruit and vegetables, and healthy sources of protein, fat and carbohydrates
- Keep out of the wind for winter health – in TCM it’s believed that the immune system is impacted by exposure to windy weather, so stay inside on windy days and keep yourself warm with appropriate clothing if you’re going out
- Manage your stress! From the perspective of TCM, regular activity is absolutely vital, and qigong or tai chi are good choices, as are meditation or yoga. Talk to a friend or a counsellor if you need support, too
- Get plenty of rest and a good night’s sleep
- Wash your hands regularly to prevent the spread of illness such as common colds; try to avoid touching your face for the same reason
Always read the label. Follow the directions for use. If symptoms persist, worsen or change unexpectedly, talk to your healthcare professional.