Warming Minestrone Soup
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spanish onion, diced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 sticks of celery, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 400g can or fresh chopped tomatoes
- 400g can rinsed or home-cooked borlotti beans
- 2L vegetable stock
- 1 small parmesan rind (optional)
- 1 cup short pasta of your choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shaved parmesan to serve (optional)
- Bread and butter (or spread of choice) to serve
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery, and cook for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and golden. Stir regularly.
- Add the garlic, and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until aromatic.
- Stir in the tomatoes, borlotti beans, vegetable stock and parmesan rind (if using) and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer on low heat. Cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add pasta, stir to combine and cook for another 30 minutes or until pasta is al dente.
- Remove parmesan rind, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup into bowls and top with shaved parmesan. Accompany with bread and butter.