Vegan cauliflower mac and cheese
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3½ cups of your favourite, unsweetened ‘mylk’ (we used a combination of almond and coconut)
- 3 tablespoons yellow miso
- 3½ cups cauliflower, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup raw cashews, roughly chopped
- 450g wholewheat short pasta
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Hemp parmesan and breadcrumbs for garnishing
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add shallots and stir for 3 minutes, or until golden.
- Then add nutritional yeast, ground mustard, ground turmeric, tomato paste, garlic and salt, and stir for approximately 45 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add mylk and bring to a simmer. Stir regularly to avoid the mixture sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add miso, cauliflower, cashews and stir to combine. Partially cover the pot and place on low to medium heat, simmering gently until the cauliflower is soft (approximately 20 minutes). Stir occasionally.
- Once cooked, place the sauce in a blender or food processor and blend until completely smooth. Place aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions, or until al dente.
- Once cooked, keep aside approximately ½ cup of pasta cooking water, then strain the pasta.
- Return the pasta to the pot and add the sauce, apple cider vinegar and a splash of the cooking water, and simmer gently on low heat until thickened and the sauce is sticking to the pasta. Add cooking water to thin out the sauce as needed. Add salt to taste.
- Place the mixture into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle the top with hemp parmesan and breadcrumbs.
- Place under the grill in the oven for approximately 5 minutes or until the top is bubbling and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately, along with your favourite steamed veggies or salad.