Dark Chocolate, Cinnamon and Ginger Crumble
Everyone loves apple crumble, and this recipe is extra indulgent and warming, thanks to the inclusion of rich dark chocolate and spicy fresh ginger. We guarantee you'll be going back for seconds!
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar, packed
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup OR 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- ¾ cups oats
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- ½ cup your favourite dark chocolate, broken into small pieces. (TIP: Go for dark chocolate with at least 60% cacao solids to top up your magnesium intake!)
4 apples, sliced
3 pears, sliced
½ cup coconut sugar, packed
2 tablespoons plain flour
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
- To make the crumble topping, add flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt and butter to a large bowl. Rub together with fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the oats and walnuts and rub together again, ensuring everything is well mixed.
- Stir in the broken dark chocolate pieces, then place the crumble mixture in the fridge to chill while you prepare the filling.
- In a separate large bowl, add all the filling ingredients and use your hands to mix well, ensuring the apple and pear slices are well coated.
- Transfer the filling to a medium-sized ovenproof dish.
- Spread the crumble mixture out evenly over the top of the filling and cover with a lid or aluminium foil, then place the dish in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove the lid or foil and continue baking for a further 10 minutes, until the crumble is golden brown and you can see the filling bubbling on the sides of the dish.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for approximately 15 minutes (if you can wait that long!).
- Serve in bowls with yoghurt (or ice cream if you're feeling naughty!)