Healthy Living Podcast - The Benefits of Magnesium

January 19, 2016

Fusion Health Co-founder and Technical Director Paul Keogh was recently interviewed for the Healthy Living podcast series. The first podcast episode covers the importance of Magnesium in our diet.

Listen to the interview now, or read the interview in full below.


Full interview transcript

INTERVIEWER: In this podcast we’re talking about Magnesium. Paul, let’s begin by understanding why do we need magnesium in our daily diet?

Paul Keogh: Magnesium is one of the most important elements in the body and performs an essential role in the basic chemistry of life including normal energy production. Over 300 enzymes require the presence of magnesium to function including those utilising and producing cellular energy (ATP), and those involved in genetic coding of DNA.

IV: How does magnesium help women?

PK: Magnesium assists in the relief of premenstrual symptoms including cramps, migraine, fluid retention and mood swings.

IV: Tell us a little about the benefits of magnesium and the part it plays with muscle recovery after exercise?

PK: Magnesium helps maintain exercise performance and electrolyte balance by supporting normal muscle contraction and compensating for magnesium depletion from sweating. During exercise, magnesium supports the enzymes that release energy for normal muscle and nerve function. Consequently, magnesium promotes stamina and reduces fatigue during exercise, Then after exercise, magnesium supports muscle recovery and helps restore energy stores (ATP).

IV: What about cramping and restless legs – how does magnesium assist to relieve the symptoms?

PK: 99% of the body’s magnesium is found inside the cell where it’s involved with more than 300 enzyme systems. The remaining 1% of magnesium is found outside the cell where it is critical for maintaining normal impulses between nerves and muscles. In turn, this supports normal nerve and muscle function to reduce cramping and restless legs.

IV: What other conditions can magnesium help to relieve?


    1. Regulates nervous system functions to help relieve nervous tension, irritability and mild anxiety, promote muscle relaxation, and enhance restful sleep.
    2. Supports healthy cardiovascular, immune and metabolic functions including the normal regulation of cholesterol, inflammation and blood sugar in healthy individuals/people.
    3. Helps maintain normal blood pressure in healthy individuals/people.
    4. Reduces the risk of developing migraines including premenstrual and menstrual migraine.
    5. Regulates calcium transport in the body and enhances bone health.


IV: Is it best to get magnesium from the diet or from supplements?

PK: It is always best to get our nutrients from food but supplementing is helpful when treating specific conditions and when dietary intake is inadequate. High magnesium foods include dark leafy greens (esp. spinach), nuts (esp. cashews), seeds (esp. pumpkin, sesame and sunflower seeds), fish, beans (esp. soy, black and navy beans), whole grains (esp. quinoa), avocados, yogurt, bananas, dried fruit, dark chocolate, and more. It can be difficult for anyone to get enough magnesium from food, and even more so for people who exercise frequently.

IV: What is magnesium glycinate?

PK: Magnesium glycinate is a highly absorbable supplemental form of magnesium with therapeutic properties to address magnesium deficiency and assist in the management of specific conditions. In addition, taking magnesium glycinate won’t upset your stomach, interact with other nutrients or cause side-effect.

Purchase Magnesium Advanced here.

Comments are closed.