Protein-packed Mexican bean bowl
Fancy a fiesta? Our colourful Mexican bean bowl is like a party for your tastebuds, combining gorgeous guacamole, sultry Pico de Gallo salsa and the protein-power of beans. Try it today.
- 1 small bag corn chips (choose oven-baked, organic or non-GMO)
- 1 can beans, rinsed (can be pinto, navy, kidney, black)
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 capsicum, chopped
- Kernels from one cob of corn
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- ½ bunch coriander, chopped (keep a few leaves whole to use as a garnish)
- 1 serrano / jalapeño chilli, finely chopped
- 1 avocado
- Handful of lettuce, chopped
- 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt (optional)
Arrange the lettuce and corn chips in your serving bowl.
Prepare the beans: Add the olive oil and half the Spanish onion to a small pan and place over a medium heat.
Cook until the onion is translucent, then add the spices and stir for 30 seconds
Add the beans, capsicum and corn and cook until tender.
Take off heat and arrange in your serving bowl.
Prepare the Pico de Gallo: Mix the tomato, remaining Spanish onion, coriander and chilli with the juice of one lime and a pinch of salt, then arrange in your serving bowl.
Prepare the guacamole: Scoop the flesh of the avocado into a bowl and mash with a fork until smooth. Stir in the juice of half a lime and a pinch of salt, then arrange in your bowl.
Plate up! Garnish your bowl with wedges of your remaining lime and whole coriander leaves. You can also add a dollop of cashew cheese if you like, or some chopped and charred nopales (cactus pictured), if you can get your hands on some!