7 reasons to shop at your local health food store
It sometimes seems like the whole world has moved online over the past year or so. And while there’s little doubt that some of those shifts are here to stay, there are still some circumstances where face-to-face, human contact makes all the difference. For us, one of those situations is shopping at your local health food store. Here’s why.
1. Your health food store has just about everything you need
Health food stores carry an extensive range of natural health supplements, functional foods, beauty, skincare and toiletry products and naturally based environmentally friendly cleaning products. For example:
- If you’re keen to switch out your skincare products for a cleaner brand without hidden nasty chemicals, a health food store is the best place to go to try out a few testers on your skin
- Worried about the safety or environmental impact of some of your cleaning products? We bet your health food store has a few green options for you to choose from
- If you’re looking for a functional food like a gut-loving sauerkraut or kombucha, look no further than your health food as brands that make it into health food stores are often cleaner, safer, healthier and also effective
In short, your health food store can help take the guesswork out of making the switch to a cleaner lifestyle.
2. Health food stores are staffed by natural health experts
Many local health food stores employ naturopaths and/or nutritionists to help you with your health queries. So, whether you’re trying to compare two different herbal formulations, wondering about the difference between magnesium powder and tablets, or need something to help reduce the likelihood of that sniffle turning into a full-blown cold, you’ll get individualised advice from a very knowledgeable professional.
3. Your health food store is connected to local natural health practitioners
Of course, there are some health issues that are too complex to manage by yourself. When that’s the case, the staff at your local health food store is likely to recommend that you seek the specialist advice of a health professional. Some health food stores have their own clinics on the premises where you can seek in-depth one-on-one advice, but if they don’t, they’ll probably be able to recommend a natural health practitioner in your area that they either know personally or have heard good feedback about from other customers.
4. Health food stores are at the cutting edge, always offering something new
The rise in conscious consumerism has led to a corresponding increase in the number of companies providing cleaner, healthier and more socially responsible products.
Some of those offering the most intriguing products only operate on a small scale or in their local area. Since they may not and have the marketing dollars for big ad campaigns, the only way you’re likely to find out about them is by stepping into your health food store for a browse.
Chances are that the staff will have trialled the product themselves and will let you know all about it. Some of our favourite products include:
- Ere Perez natural skincare and makeup
- Franjo’s Kitchen pregnancy and lactation snacks
- The Carob Kitchen snacks
- Venerdi paleo bread
- Moo Goo skincare
- Love Tea
- Tribe of the Tree flower essences
5. Sustainable and environmentally friendly
Since it involves using less fuel, shopping locally is better for the environment than driving a long way to visit the stores or ordering online. Take your own shopping bag and it’ll help cut down on packaging waste too.
And if you're really serious about being environmentally friendly and minimising your ecological footprint, your local health food store has a wide range of products available to help you achieve your goals.
6. Looking for allergy-friendly food? Your health food store has got you covered
Whether you’re gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, or needing to follow some other special diet due to allergies, food intolerances or health issues, your health food store will have a wide variety of options on hand that suit you. It can be tough to find products that cater to specific dietary requirements (especially ones that aren’t full of a big list of scary ingredients!) but with the assistance of the switched-on staff, you can load up on all your favourite diet-friendly goodies.
7. Thoughtful gifts that are naturally healthy
Organic, artisanal chocolates, a creamy, naturally fragranced body lotion – or how about a clean-burning soy wax candle? The local health food store may not be your first thought when you need to pick up a gift for someone, but they’re actually stocked full of great gift ideas. Even if your potential gift-receiver isn’t that into a ‘healthy, organic lifestyle’ – a subtle nudge in the right direction with a thoughtful gift could change all that!
If you’re not a health food store regular, try shopping at one next time you’re in need of a new supplement, healthy snack or personal care product. Take the time to pick the brains of the friendly staff and chances are you’ll learn something new and be inspired by their passion for health too!
Not sure where your local health food store is? Click here to find one near you.