Congestion-clearing chicken soup
- 1 chicken breast
- Enough water and vegetable or chicken stock to cover the chicken in a shallow pan in a ratio of around 1-part stock to 3-parts water (the exact quantity of liquid you need will depend on the size of your pan)
- 2 additional cups of stock
- 5-10 slices dried shiitake mushrooms
- 50g soba or udon noodles
- 2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 1 small carrot, finely sliced
- 30g snow peas, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum, finely sliced
- 1/4 - 1/2 chilli, sliced finely (adjust quantity according to taste and how congested you're feeling)
- Put the dried mushrooms in a small bowl, cover with boiling water, and leave to rehydrate for 20 minutes. When they're soft and plump, remove them from the water and cut off the stems.
- Remove any tendons, skin or veins from the chicken, and place it in a shallow pan.
- Pour the water-and-stock mixture into the pan until the chicken is submerged.
- Turn the stove up high until the liquid boils, then cover the pan and simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked
- When cooked, slice or shred the chicken into small pieces, and place it in the serving bowl.
- Cook the noodles in a small portion of water, as per the instructions on the pack (normally 8-10 minutes), then strain and place in the serving bowl with the shredded chicken.
- In a separate saucepan, combine the stock, tamari, grated ginger, crushed garlic and sesame oil, and bring the liquid to the boil. Put the lid on the pot, turn the heat down low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and carrots, then continue simmering until the carrot is just tender.
- Add the snow peas, shallot, capsicum and chilli, and simmer for an additional two minutes.
- Ladle the vegetables and broth over the chicken and noodles.
- Inhale the cleansing spicy steam as you enjoy your soup!
*Reference: Saketkhoo K, et al. Chest, 1978;74(4):408-10