Ginger and Shiitake Congee
- ½ cup (100g) basmati rice
- 1.5 litres vegetable broth or stock (homemade is best)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cups chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped greens (kale, bok choy, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds for garnishing (lightly toasted in a pan)
- In-season sprouts or coriander for garnishing
- Place the rice, broth, ghee, sesame oil, ginger, shiitake mushrooms and greens in a saucepan, cover and cook over medium heat for 1 - 1 ½ hours, stirring intermittently.
- Serve the congee in bowls, topped with toasted sesame seeds and sprouts or coriander. Salt as you wish.