Kidney-nourishing black bean and quinoa stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 400g can black beans, strained and rinsed
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth/stock
- 1 tsp tamari
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Coriander + lime to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium heat, then add the onions and cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook until tender, ensuring not to burn it.
- Add cacao, cumin, cayenne, coriander and cinnamon and stir continuously for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add sweet potato and quinoa and stir well.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste and tamari, and stir well again.
- Stir in the black beans, ensuring everything is evenly combined.
- Cover with a lid and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 35 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve in bowls, and top with coriander and lime wedges.