Orange, Almond & Polenta Cake
- 10 small or 8 large oranges
- 250g runny honey
- 3 large eggs
- 200g almond meal
- 100g fine polenta
- 200ml extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
- Grease a 20cm springform cake tin with ghee or olive oil, then line the base with greaseproof paper, and grease that too.
- Whisk 200ml extra virgin olive oil and 150g of the honey together until well combined, approximately 2 minutes. Add eggs, and whisk for another approximately 2 minutes. Grate the zest of 3 oranges, and then gently whisk these in. Fold in almond meal and polenta and the juice of 1-2 oranges (50ml).
- Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the top is golden and the cake is cooked through (test with a toothpick or thin skewer if unsure).
- Meanwhile squeeze approximately 3 oranges (you'll need 100ml of juice) and place into a pot, then add the remaining 100g of honey. Place on the stove on low-medium heat, and simmer until the syrup thickens, then remove from heat.
- Once the cake is cooked, let cool for 10 minutes in the tin. Loosen it gently with a butter knife around the edges before releasing the tin. This cake is fragile, so please be gentle with it when cutting it or transferring it to a plate or container.
- To finish, peel and slice remaining oranges and serve some with each piece of cake, ensuring you also drizzle each piece with some syrup. Enjoy!