Protein-packed Mexican bean bowl
- 1 small bag corn chips (choose oven-baked, organic or non-GMO)
- 1 can beans, rinsed (can be pinto, navy, kidney, black)
- 1 Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 capsicum, chopped
- Kernels from one cob of corn
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch coriander, chopped (keep a few leaves whole to use as a garnish)
- 1 serrano/jalapeno chilli, finely chopped
- 1 avocado
- A handful of lettuce, chopped
- 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt (optional)
- Arrange the lettuce and corn chips in your serving bowl.
- Prepare the beans: Add the olive oil and half the Spanish onion to a small pan and place over a medium heat.
- Cook until the onion is translucent, then add the spices and stir for 30 seconds
- Add the beans, capsicum and corn and cook until tender.
- Take off heat and arrange in your serving bowl.
- Prepare the Pico de Gallo: Mix the tomato, remaining Spanish onion, coriander and chilli with the juice of one lime and a pinch of salt, then arrange in your serving bowl.
- Prepare the guacamole: Scoop the flesh of the avocado into a bowl and mash with a fork until smooth. Stir in the juice of half a lime and a pinch of salt, then arrange in your bowl.
- Plate up! Garnish your bowl with wedges of your remaining lime and whole coriander leaves. You can also add a dollop of cashew cheese if you like, or some chopped and charred nopales (cactus pictured), if you can get your hands on some!