Roasted eggplant dip
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for serving
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ tsp salt flakes
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Sprig of fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Cut the eggplant in half lengthways, score the cut side deeply and brush with half the olive oil.
- Place on a baking tray cut side up in the oven, along with the garlic cloves, and cook for 40 minutes. The eggplant should have a blackened top when it’s ready.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly, then scoop the eggplant flesh into a colander and let it sit for 15 minutes to drain any excess moisture.
- Place the eggplant flesh and garlic into a bowl and mash well with a fork.
- Stir the other ingredients through the eggplant and garlic mixture, but reserve a little olive oil.
- Place the dip in a serving bowl and drizzle the remaining olive oil over the top, then garnish with the parsley.
Serve with vegetable sticks or your favourite crackers. Great flavour combinations to team with your dip include carrots, green beans and celery sticks.