Spinach and Turmeric Dahl
- 1 cup mung dahl or red lentils
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 6 curry leaves
- 1 green chilli, whole
- 1 bunch spinach
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ bunch fresh coriander
- Plain yoghurt, a handful of roasted cashews, and steamed basmati rice to serve
- Rinse the mung dahl or red lentils at least 3 times, then set aside.
- Heat the ghee on high in a large saucepan. Add the mustard seeds and stir until they start to pop, then add the turmeric, ginger, black pepper and cumin seeds.
- Add the mung dahl or red lentils, and then cover well with water (approximately 4-5 cups). Add the curry leaves and chilli, and give a good stir.
- Bring to the boil, and skim off any foam that forms on the top of the dahl. Reduce heat to simmer for 30-35 minutes, stirring to ensure the dahl does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Remove the curry leaves and chilli, and add the spinach and lemon juice. Salt to taste.
- Serve in bowls with rice, cashews, yoghurt and chopped coriander.
Hot tip: Add any veggies in season that tickle your fancy.