Vegan chocolate hazelnut and strawberry brownies
Health benefits of hazelnuts
- Hazelnuts have a great nutrient profile - high in antioxidants and fibre, with a rich source of vitamins and minerals like vitamin E, manganese and copper, and a good source of vitamin B6, folate, phosphorus, potassium and zinc.
- They are loaded with healthy fats, with a high content of omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids.
- The high concentration of antioxidants and healthy fats may increase the antioxidant potential and increase protection for a healthy heart.
- 28 g, or about 20 whole kernels, contains 4 g of protein to help keep blood sugar levels stabilised.
Physical benefits of flaxseeds
- High in protein, fibre and omega-3 fatty acids, along with several important vitamins and minerals, including flaxseeds in your daily diet has many health benefits for the body for heart health, blood sugar regulation and digestive function.
- An excellent source of omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), that’s important for heart health and assisting inflammatory conditions.
- 7 g of ground flaxseed contains 2 g of soluble and insoluble fibre, which is great for bowel function and regularity.
- Flaxseeds are versatile and easy to add to yogurt, salad, smoothies, baked goods or as a sprinkle on curries.
- 125 g frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon Monkfruit sweetener, or raw or caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 100 mL water
- ¾ cup (125 g) buckwheat flour
- ½ cup (70 g) cacao powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup (150 g) Monkfruit sweetener, or raw or caster sugar
- ¾ cup non-dairy milk of your choice
- ¾ cup (180 g) hazelnut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 45 g vegan dark chocolate, roughly chopped
Note: You can make your own hazelnut butter by grinding roasted hazelnuts for 5-10 minutes on high speed in a food processor until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan-forced.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Toss the strawberries with the tablespoon of sweetener and scatter on the tray.
- Roast in the oven for 25-35 minutes, depending on the size of the strawberries, until the strawberries are soft and jammy. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Line a 20 cm square baking tin with baking paper.
- Whisk together the ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the buckwheat flour, cacao powder, baking powder, salt and sweetener until well combined and there are no lumps in the dry ingredients.
- In the small bowl with the ground flaxseed, whisk together the milk, hazelnut butter and vanilla paste.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients in the medium bowl and fold to combine.
- Pour the brownie batter into the paper lined baking tin, and scatter the roasted strawberries and chopped chocolate on top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the brownie comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tray before slicing into 9 squares.
Makes 9 brownies