The benefits of omega-3 fatty acids
Why are omega-3 fats essential?
We refer to omega-3 fats as essential because not only are they essential to your body’s optimal function, they also can’t be made by the body. Therefore, it becomes all the more pressing to ensure you’re consuming enough of them on a daily basis.
Although there are several types of omega-3 fatty acids, the most important are:
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), which are predominantly obtained from fish
- Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which is found in nuts and seeds
How do omega-3 fats support the body?
Cardiovascular health: The omega-3s found in fish oil have been found to support a healthy cardiovascular system and blood vessel dilation (that is, the blood vessels’ ability to open).
Cholesterol: Ensuring you are getting enough omega-3 helps to maintain healthy blood lipids.
Brain function: Marine omega-3 fatty acids found in fish support brain function. They’re especially important for the role they play in supporting brain and central nervous system development in children aged up to 12 years old.
Inflammation and mild osteoarthritis: Omega-3 can reduce stiffness and joint pain by helping to fight inflammation. Marine Omega-3s in particular help to reduce symptoms associated with mild arthritis, as well as supporting healthy joint function.
Mood: You may not think to reach for your fish oils if you’re feeling out of sorts, but omega-3s provide support for healthy mood balance.
General wellbeing: Just looking to ensure you’re doing your best every day to be well? Omega-3 fish oils help to support general health and wellbeing. Its as easy as that!
Are you getting enough omega-3?
The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) recommends women should consume around 430mg of omega-3 fatty acids per day, and men should consume 610mg per day. Despite this, three out of five Australian adults are still failing to consume the recommended daily intake.1
Scrumptious sardine paté
To help your body get the nutrients it needs, try our quick and easy recipe for sardine spread that’s rich in omega-3s and guaranteed to satisfy!
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 2 cans sardines (in olive oil)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Caramelise the onion by placing it in a pan on medium heat with a small amount of coconut oil, stirring until golden and tender. Set aside to cool.
- Place the caramelised onion and sardines together in a food processor, including a little oil from the sardine can. Add pepper to taste, then blend until the ingredients form a paste.
- Scoop the paste into a bowl, add pepper to taste and enjoy!
Still not getting enough omega-3 in your diet?
As with all things nutrition, trying to eat a balanced, nourishing diet can do wonders for your health and wellbeing. But if you’re anything like the majority of Australians not consuming enough fish for adequate omega-3 intake1, supplementing your existing healthy eating plan with easily absorbed fish oil capsules can help.
High potency Fusion OceanPure® Fish Oil capsules are odourless and enteric-coated, and are sourced from fisheries certified as sustainable by Friend of the Sea. They’re tested for mercury, dioxin and PCB, and are guaranteed for their purity, freshness, traceability and ecological sustainability.
For more, go to Fusion Health OceanPure Fish Oil.
- Meyer, B.J. Nutrients 2016;8(3):111.